About Bill






Pages

Friday, November 9, 2018


Some Thoughts From Proverbs 5

Proverbs 5:12-14
12 and you say, “How I hated discipline, and my heart despised reproof!
13 I did not listen to the voice of my teachers or incline my ear to my instructors.
14 I am at the brink of utter ruin in the assembled congregation.”

The adulterer is guilty and without excuse. He has not heeded the simple fail-safe in vs 8. In 5:12-14 he examines himself:
 A. Verse 12 There is personal recrimination. He is without excuse. It was not from ignorance nor deception. He and he alone must bear the blame.
  B. Verse 13 Now there is regret, but it is too late. He did not do what he should have done to prevent his fall. But regret satisfies nothing
  C. Verse 14 He must bear the reproach that is due him. He faces the rejection of those he knows he should prize most.

Be sure there are sins that deserve and require the reproach of the congregation. The church is a home for repentant sinners. But it is equally true that the church must have discipline. And rebellious offenders left undisciplined will bring the discipline of God on the church as sure as it did on Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

darlenesf@hughes.net