About Bill






Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2019


5/14/19 

Augustus Toplady was  a very respected Christian leader in 18th century London.  He was an outstanding Gospel preacher in the Church of England, a reputed historian, an acknowledged theologian, and an accomplished poet.

It is from his poetry that the hymn Rock of Ages is taken.  From soon after it was added to the hymnology of the Church until late in the 20th century this was the most popular Church hymn, and it still ranks #1 with me.  I have included the poem today.

Hymn 23.  A Prayer, living and dying, The Works Of Augustus Toplady, B.A.

1. Rock of Ages, cleft for me, 
Let me hide myself in thee; 
Let the water and the blood, 
From thy riven side which flow’d, 
Be of sin the double cure; 
Cleanse me from ita guilt and power

2. Not the labors of my hands 
Can fulfill thy law's demands; 
Could my zeal no respite know, 
Could my tears forever flow, 
All for sin could not atone; 
Thou must save, and thou alone. 

3. Nothing in my hand I bring, 
Simply to the cross I cling; 
Naked, come to thee for dress; 
Helpless, look to thee for grace; 
Foul, I to the fountain fly; 
Wash me, Savior, or I die. 

4. While I draw this fleeting breath, 
When mine eye strings break in death, 
When I soar to worlds unknown, 
See thee on thy judgment throne, 
Rock of Ages, cleft for me, 
Let me hide myself in thee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

darlenesf@hughes.net