About Bill






Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

THE CREED PRINCIPLE

Bill Fitzhenry's Thoughts For Today…

Understanding important truths from the Bible…. 

THE CREED PRINCIPLE

John 1:12
12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 

Salvation for all those who have confessed themselves to be a Christian is linked directly to their faith in Christ.  So every Christian has a creed.  It is only a question of how extensive that creed is. 

There are some who claim to be Believers who say they have no creed or confession - they just believe the Bible.  The issue in the visible church is not “do you believe the Bible?”, but “what do you believe the Bible teaches?”.  Every Christian community and every sect has a response to the second question.  They have a creed. 

My confession is the Westminster Confession of Faith with the Larger and Shorter Catechisms.  Having said that there are some qualifications I must make.
1.      I do not believe my creed is inspired.  It is a written declaration in both general and specific terms of what I believe the Bible teaches.
2.       I do not have to agree with any particular human exposition of this confession.  I can disagree with other Believers’ understanding and maintain my creedal integrity.
3.      I can in certain instances take exceptions to my confession.  As a Christian minister there is a certain responsibility I must meet to do this.  Exceptions cannot be on those truths which are central to the intent of the confession.  Exceptions should be limited and of minor importance. 

This position demands that when I say I believe the Bible, I remain honest to my confession.  My confession is not my Bible,  but it is my understanding and the substance of what I must confess the Scriptures say.  This is not bondage, but a guarantee of freedom in faith and message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

darlenesf@hughes.net